MCD Steps it up with the all new RR5 4WD 1/5 Buggy
Well well well…look what we have here. A new 1/5 Large Scale 4WD model from MCD. The manufactures name is not one on most peoples minds when you say “Large Scale” or “1/5”. They are not new to the scene at all, in fact MCD started back in 1994 and produced the worlds first 4WD 1/5 scale in 1997. But the reason their name may not be as familier here in the US is due to many reasons. One of which is limited distribution and the lack of interest on the part of aftermarket manufactures. Here in the good ole USofA we like to hop-up and modify everything.
A common 1/5 scale release from MCD would often include a new model that used a large majority of parts from earlier platforms. Making for not so exciting releases from MCD for those of us who crave ingenuity and unique approaches to new platforms. But this release is different and very special indeed. As the press release says the new RR5 is a 1/5 scale 4WD buggy built from scratch. MCD has 3 years of development and testing in this new 4WD and from what I can see they could have a winner on their hands and possibly even make a good appearance here in the US if enough dealers and manufactures get behind the model.
The first thing that stuck out to me on the new RR5 buggy is that it has LOTS of servos. Not only did I spot the twin steering servos but also another one near the brakes. Looks like they have an additional servo on the rear brake. Which for those of you with advanced radios could be some cool mixing capabilities. A few other things that have stuck out to me is the cool engine hear/air guard, 7075 aluminum towers, fuel tank with shake absorbing separators, the what looks like rubber pipe straps, quick change diff’s, adjustable CG, squat, kick up etc. This thing looks HOT!
I will let you review the press release on this bad boy below and drool over the pictures. Once we know more on a release date and price we will be sure to post that information.
MCD 1/5 Scale 4WD RR5 Buggy product info:
The RR5, built from scratch, is the intersection point of the core values that have created our brand. Aimed at our enthusiasts, RR5 is a supreme race machine which embraces advanced solutions that came out of the profound observations and analysis of the races.
Our R&D team have spent three years in the development to offer all the set-up abilities that a racer would require. While designing these abilities the totally new fifth generation Race Runner had to ensure all the adjustments could be done as quickly as possible where every millisecond is vital for the podium. Adding up the traditional MCD qualities we are now proud to announce the total racing machine RR5 – the implementation of “ The Winning Experience”.
The RR5 Features
– Fifth generation chassis & suspension arms
– Sophisticated 4WD Shaft Driven mechanics
– Ultra strengthened chrome drive shaft and axle
– Differential spiral bevel gears & diff house
– Easily removable one-piece electronics tray
– Factory assembled CNC machined and bended 7075 aircraft alloy chassis
– 24 mm hexagonal rim-blocks
– Solid and durable side guards
– Easily removable composite front, rear and center diff houses
– Clear body shell
– Ultra durable front and rear adjustable steel disc brake rotors and bronze pads
– 7075 air craft alloy front and rear towers
– Coil-over extended composite shock absorbers with Internal High Pressurized Cell™ System
– Ultra hardened steel transmission gears
– Fully adjustable bearing sway bars
– No-Stress-Effect polyamide front and rear bumper
– New ball output couplings
– Improved brake linkage
– Super-Cooling RR5 air ventilation system
– Rear brake only servo slot
– Viper Racing air filters
– New Barracuda V2 pipe improved for RR5 (Optional)
– Adjustable inboard and outboard toe
– 544mm – 560mm adjustable wheelbase
– Adjustable CG
– Adjustable weight distribution
– Adjustable kick-up 8°-10°
– Adjustable 0°-3° anti-squat
– Molded fuel tank with shake absorbing separators
– Optional front rear central 60° 90° 120° Self locking diffs
– Pre-cut RR5 Decal Set
– Fully composite body accessories